Sunday, November 27, 2005

Auditory Terrorism

The first time I noticed BusTV (on a Vimeca Bus) was quite curious. I was reading my book when suddenly I heard the rat-tat-tat of a machine gun going off, which I thought was quite at odds with the usual auditory landscape of Lisbon's outskirts. Were we being attacked by a bunch of Al-Qaeda operatives armed with ak-47s and an itch to scratch? I'd rather wish we were, at least Bin Laden I could handle - but when I lifted my eyes and noticed the TV screen for the first time, I knew we were in real trouble!...

Now, I don't know about you, but I think that a commercial for a first-person shooter ("Battlefield 2", as I recall) is not exactly what people need on their commute to the job at 8 AM. Not exactly relaxing to hear plastic explosive cum small weapons fire simphonies in a crowded bus. The insensitivity of the choice is quite amazing in fact. Would they play the same commercial in a London Bus? I am sure any Londoner would appreciate crossing Tavistock Square by the sound of explosives going off! I can just picture them on the mobile: "Could you say that again, love? I couldn't catch it because of the rocket launcher firing". What about on the subway, would you appreciate such a commercial there? Who the hell decides these things? Are they imbecils?

Are they terrorists?

No comments: